Friday, April 30, 2010

A birthday letter

Today, our baby turns 2. I can't even wrap my mind around the fact that we have had Riley in our life for two years. I remember the first few days at home from the hospital when I almost felt like we were playing house and a moment's notice, someone was going to come and take her away. Instead, gladly, we have had these two years and we have packed a lot of living in these days...never taking one minute for granted. I have always wanted to write a letter to Riley each year on her birthday and one year, when she hates me and is calling me names because I hate her boyfriend, or perhaps on her 18th birthday, she will get the collection of these letters. I wanted to start this tradition last year but crazy party planning got in the way - so this year - this second year, we will start it off right.

Dear Riley,
Thank you. Thank you for teaching me to laugh and to love more than I ever knew was possible. Thank you for teaching us that we can worry and fret over every bump and fever and you still show us what a strong girl you are. Thank you for giving me a chance to be your Mom.
My favorite time of the day is snuggling with you in the morning or before you drift off to sleep. This is a rare time when you actually sit still and allow me to snuggle and "get comfy" as you say. Your hand, reaching up for my face and three words make it all worth it, "Lull you Mommy." Of course, your version of I love you and I love it all the same.
Your Daddy can't wait to get home every day and see you as you greet him with wild shrieks by the door. He is your rock star -- and Murphy, your pony. You will be a fabulous big sister and I know this next year will be hard -- sharing is something we all need to work on but you will rock it all the same.
And your laugh... Your laugh is the best one I have ever heard. Your gap-toothed smile is quite cute and your tugs of my shirt to cover my ever growing belly is something to be proud of. I believe that you think you are protecting me. Nervous about my doctor visits, you warn others, "No hurt Mommy, No hurt Baby." And for that, I again thank you.
But I must admit, you are a wild woman. Crazy lady are the words I sometimes use. Your spunky and bold and very stubborn. You are a leader and love to boss people around, including me and Daddy. But, I wouldn't change a minute because you're going to be a lady that no one is going to mess with. And I love that.
So Riley, on your second birthday and on every day, I want you to know that you are my girl. You will always be my girl no matter how many candles are on your cake. Thank you for bringing us the best joy and love we have ever felt and thank you for sharing this crazy, wonderful life with us.
Love,
Mommy and Daddy

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails