Monday, December 13, 2010

Blast from the Past

I don't know many people who can say that they are still friends with people they have known since kindergarten. And not just friends, best friends. Friends who would fly across continents to see you get married or to love on your new babies. Friends who you know that although you haven't seen each other in months or years, it's like nothing has changed.

Diana and I have that type of friendship. I am so blessed to have grown up with Diana and her sister, Marcie; her parents took care of me like I was their own and mine did the same. They introduced me to the Colombian culture and taught me how to roll my "R"s and my parents indulged Diana in her favorite bar-b-que restaurants and kept her stocked up on Claussen pickles.

I got to spend some time with Diana and Marcie at my parents house this past weekend. They laughed with my girls (Reese for the first time), we drank wine, and my parents made one killer dinner. After I laid Reese down to sleep for the night, we had more girl time, thanks to my parents for Riley duty. We talked and laughed and I kept thinking --- this is the girl that we would make up names of our fake boyfriends (Todd and Scott, thank you very much) as we daydreamed about our future lives...and here we are. Diana is married to a wonderful man, Holger and me to Dan...not exactly Todd and Scott, but it works. As we sat there that night, catching up and telling old stories, I thought to myself, how lucky I am to have Diana in my life and to have shared our life together. My hope is that one day, my girls will get to have the same experience.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails